Quick-tip: use Eclipse Theia as a Cloud-IDE like a web-version of VScode

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007f76fb9a6ce8> #<Tag:0x00007f76fb9a6ae0> #<Tag:0x00007f76fb9a69c8>

Quick-tip: use Eclipse Theia as a Cloud-IDE like a web-version of VScode

Checkout:
https://theia-ide.org/

Use cases for my Cloud IDE

I run this next to a Test-env / Lab-env Jenkins, where I may on occasion need to debug things. Of course, you don’t run an IDE on your production build-servers.

I think the XP (Extreme Programming) or Peer-Review features are overrated since you’d do the latter with Git branches. No need to share an IDE. And no one likes XP. :slight_smile:

Run Theia in Docker on Linux

We run our IDE as a user… I mean… unless we debug things.

cd ~/Source
docker run -it --init -p 3000:3000 --user $(id -u):$(id -g) -v "$(pwd):/home/project:cached" theiaide/theia-full

Share the build-chain - lab

What’s quite useful to me is that you can use the Build server’s build chain and investigate the environment variables.

Summary

I did like Cloud9, especially the tiled web terms.

The problem was that the web socket connection often dropped. With Theia, that problem seems to be solved. And you can do the same kind of window arrangement like VScode. It seems you can even use VScode extensions, but currently, this is not really clear. The plugin marketplace is different, and how do you deploy custom exts with Docker? Maybe… I will find out.